Monday, November 15, 2010

Support Group

I have never been much of a support group type person, then again my only experience with them have been weight loss groups.  I just assumed support groups were just a group of people bitching and complaining about what they no longer have and what a struggle it is for them. 

When Kevin's RSD hit in September 2009, I was doing all kinds of research I could to find out about the disease.  Then the holidays were coming and the stress and depression for both of us settled in.  I sought out support and found a support group based out of Alexian Brothers Hospital in Elk Grove Village.  I was very familiar with the hospital as my sister works there.  So because I was familiar, I was comfortable in going there for a support group.  I had been chatting via email with the groups founder, Edwina Schaeffer and without ever knowing what she looked like, as soon as I walked in the meeting, I know who was Edwina.  She has this pure sweetness about her.  Kind, giving.  She suffers from RSD as well.  Her husband, Bob was there too and everyone attending introduced themselves to me.  They were thrilled that a family member of an RSD sufferer came out to learn more.  They are all amazing people and because of them I came home with hope.  RSD wasn't the end of road, just a turn in our journey of life. 

It is amazing how a group that is meant to support the people with RSD, provided me support as one who is living with, loving and caring for someone with RSD.  When you as so close to the person suffering, it is hard to see outside of your little world.  Through the support group I see the other faces of RSD.  I hear how they live with it, how they manage it and how their families deal with it all.  Unfortunately for some, their RSD proved to be the breaking point in their relationships.  Some divorced, some just deal with no support from spouses, children, friends or family.  One person said 10 years ago he was on the verge of suicide and found this support group and it saved his life.  He realized he wasn't alone anymore.  He never misses a meeting.  I met a woman yesterday that commended me for supporting Kevin, because her husband and own children don't support her.  Her niece was there as her support.  Some people just can't grasp or deal with a loved one suffering.  And they push that loved one away.  Close themselves off to them.  Maybe to protect themselves.  But by doing that, they miss out on the blessings it can provide.  They miss out on how it challenges you.  How it can bring you closer.

So for all you nay sayers out there about support groups, give them a shot.  You never know what you will get out of it until you check it out for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment