Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day

Being Catholic I know there were Christian martyrs named Valentine.  One definition of martyr is a believer who is called to witness for their religious belief, and on account of the witness endures suffering and/or death.  Valentine is derived from Valens, which means worthy, strong and powerful.  This all describes my Kevin.  Worthy, Strong, Powerful and a martyr.  Kevin endures much suffering.  I believe, because of my faith, that God chose Kevin because he is worthy, strong, powerful and called to witness for his religious belief.  Because of Kevin’s RSD, I have become more spiritual and closer to God.  And I have seen Kevin become more too. 

I love Kevin very much and on Valentine’s Day we are supposed to express our love with cards, candy and flowers.  Those material things fade.  It is the day to day love that endures.  The expressions through actions mean more to me.  The hug, the kiss, the grasp of the hand, the smile, the wink.  I get those every day from Kevin even when he is in so much pain.  Kevin can’t go to the store and buy me things.  Sure he could order on line, but we don’t have the money.  I know it upsets him that he can’t do that anymore for me. Yes those gestures were well received by me in our early days of our relationship.  But our relationship has evolved.  It is easy to call in a flower delivery or pick up a card at the store.  The hard stuff is that day to day.  Kevin lets me know every day how much he loves me, with his smiles and winks, and hugs and kisses and that grasp of my hand in a store or in the car.  That is the real gift.  And he does this even through all his suffering. 

This blog entry to tell Kevin that I love him and that I recognize and appreciate all he does for me.  Those little things throughout the day, every day.  Not just on Valentine’s Day.  I thank God every day for bringing Kevin to me and me to Kevin.

I love you Kevin.

Happy Valentine’s Day

3 comments:

  1. This doesn't get Kevin off the hook from ever getting me anything again. All gifts big or small, material or non material will be well received. Hah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, I love reading your blog. I am a hopeless romantic but when you are with the love of your life, everyday is like Valentine's Day. It maybe a wink, a small touch, a hug, a kind word, or just saying I love you and appreciate you. So to me Valentine's day seems kind of silly, it's almost like it's the 1 day of the year people make up for not showing love and affection the other 364 days. Don't get me wrong, I can still be swept away with flowers, cards, gifts. LOL But I know where you are coming from, especially having a loved one with RSD. It makes you appreciate all the effort and thought that goes into how they show you they love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must remember to tease Kevin about all this...

    ReplyDelete