Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Multi Family Dwelling

I don’t know how Kevin’s mom and her husband do it.  I don’t know how they put up with us invading their home and not lose their minds.  Things have been running pretty smoothly since we had to move in with them on December 31st.  I am very grateful to them for allowing us to live there and grateful for their seemingly unending patience. I am sure some days we are more tolerable than others.  We are on our 6th week living there.  We have fallen into a routine so to speak.  But that routine was disrupted with the recent blizzard that caused us to be cooped up together for days and now this cold snap and Lincoln coming down with a nasty cold.  We are all finding our way within the routine even with the disruptions.  I seem to be struggling more with finding my way then the others in the house.  I miss having my own home.  I have my own space in the beautiful home we currently share with Kevin’s mom, Wendy and husband Jeff.  But it isn’t my home.  What a blessing it is to have your own home to yourself.  I feel bad that we have taken that away from Wendy and Jeff. 

I am feeling a disconnect with Kevin.  I work all day come home and retire to my own space.  Kevin has his space, Lincoln and I have our own space.  Own space and own home are two different things.  And I am really missing not having my own home.  Got a taste of it last Sunday when we had the house to ourselves.  The three of us were not on top of one another the entire time, but we were still together, alone.  Nothing in the background to distract us from us.  I miss that.  I am sure Wendy and Jeff miss that too.

One would say, a solution to this problem, for me getting out of this funk, would be to go out on a family outing just me, Kevin and Lincoln.  But with Kevin’s RSD we can’t always do that.  Our outings are dictated by his pain levels and tolerance.  This frigid weather is a killer for Kevin too.  So we are really limited and restricted.  Sure Lincoln and I could go somewhere, but that isn’t what I want.  I want it to be all three of us.  And besides with Lincoln’s cold this week, Lincoln and I can’t even do something outside of the house.  So I am getting stir crazy.

Our current living situation is temporary.  I know that.  But how I am feeling this week, I don’t want Wendy and Jeff to feel that way and if they do, I hope it isn’t for much longer.  That we can have our own home again soon.

3 comments:

  1. We do not envy your situation and cannot imagine having to go through such a thing again. for a short time we lived with her parents and then a few years later - they lived with us - her mother for over 5 years until we were able to get two places next door to one another. There is nothing like having your own home, your own spaces, your own ability to walk around naked in the middle of the night. I hope that this situation is extremely temporary and that you guys are managing to save enough to put you where you want to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking back at the time spent living with my Mom - though it was very frustrating at times- I am grateful that she was there to help with Jhon and Jackson. Especially after Jhon's accident - it gave me peace of mind to know that someone I trusted was with them while I was at work.

    Just remember to breathe and take time for yourself once in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am grateful for the peace of mind that Kevin is not home alone all day like he was before. And I am grateful that Lincoln is taken care of and has everything his heart desires at grandma's house.
    I feel bad that I have taken away Wendy and Jeff's house to themselves. Feel like a burden, intruding, which causes frustration with the situation. I am not frustrated with anyone, just the situation itself.
    If I feel this way and I get out every day to work, I can't imagine what Kevin feels. Hopefully his disability will come through soon and we can get out on our own again and outfit a home to suit all of Kevin's needs.
    A place we can have to ourselves and then Wendy and Jeff can have their house back to themselves.

    ReplyDelete